- Quick to Launch
The system opened to the public only two years after state authorities first embraced the concept and one year after construction began.
Rapid, high quality implementation was made possible due to a unique combination of factors:
- strong political will
- outstanding administrative efforts by Diego Monraz Villaseñor, director of Mexico’s urban rail operator, SITEUR
- coordination among state and local agencies
- acceptance by incumbent transport operators
- timely budgeting and contracting
- experienced technical advisers and consultants
- support and oversight from civil society organizations and academic institutions
Note: CTS-México provided technical advisory services and project coordination with funds from the Andean Development Corporation, Shell Foundation, Caterpillar Foundation, and The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation.
Photo: Dario Hidalgo